Rules & Regulations of
Christ the King Parish Cemeteries
St. Ferdinand and St. Henry Church
Revised by the
Christ the King Cemetery Association
Rules & Regulations of Christ the King Parish Cemeteries
Christ the King Parish has a cemetery located at each of the churches of the parish. The rules and regulations listed within apply to both, the St. Ferdinand and St. Henry cemeteries, unless specifically called out by the name for an individual cemetery.
A. General Information
- All interments and disinterments in Christ the King Parish cemeteries shall be done in strict compliance with the laws, rules, and regulations of the properly constituted authorities of Christ the King Parish, the county of Dubois, and the State of Indiana.
- Interments in Christ the King Parish Cemeteries shall not be restricted by reason of religious or non-religious affiliations of the person to be interred.
- Interments and disinterments shall be done under the direction of a representative of each respective cemetery and an Indiana Funeral Director.
- Every interment shall be enclosed in a vault of stone, concrete, metal, or other products to be approved by the cemetery board. Such container will be provided at the expense of the owner.
- All lots must be properly marked with an approved headstone. Only one headstone marker is allowed per lot. All other markers added are to be mounted to the headstone. Monuments should not exceed 40" in total height (including the base). All Monuments must have a foundation. The foundations should be the same size as the base with a maximum width of 14” and a minimum depth of 20” in ground. Single and cremation memorials shall not exceed forty (40) inches in length. Double memorials shall not exceed seventy (70) inches in length. Triple memorials shall not exceed ninety-six (96) inches in length. Baby memorials shall not exceed twenty (20) inches in length. A height variance will only be given after consultation with the Cemetery Board of Directors. Approval of any monument must be given before it is ordered and erected within one (1) year.
- Military Headstone or Marker should be mounted to the back of the existing headstone. If there is no existing headstone, the military marker will be placed in the normal headstone location. If a headstone is put up later, the military headstone will be moved and mounted to the back of the headstone.
- At St. Ferdinand Cemetery, starting in section F, all markers are placed on the East end of the cemetery lot, with the inscription on the West side of the marker. The body will be buried facing West (to the church). It is customary that the male would be buried to the North and the female to the South.
- At St. Henry Cemetery, all markers are placed on the West end of the cemetery lot, with the inscription on the East side of the marker. The body will be buried facing East (to the church). It is customary that the male would be buried to the South and the female to the North.
B. Sale of Lots
- All standard cemetery lots measure 4' x 10'.
- Single or double burial lots may be pre-purchased in the current available section of the cemetery. Lots will be sold in consecutive order in the available rows of that section.
- At the time of purchase, each lot must have a specific name. Transfer of lot must be accompanied by letter of permission from owner and approved by the Board of Directors.
- Single lots for registered parishioners cost $300.00. Double lots cost $600.00. $100.00 from each lot ($200.00 for double lot) will be placed in Perpetual Care at Christ the King Parish.
- Single lots for non-parishioners cost $900.00. Double lots cost $1,800.00. $300.00 from each lot ($600.00 for double lot) will be placed in Perpetual Care at Christ the King Parish.
- St. Ferdinand Cemetery has a special size (4’ x 5’) lot available for cremation burials. Cremation burials are limited to the cremation area. Cost for a lot in the cremation section is $300.00 for registered parishioners of Christ the King Parish and for non-parishioners is $900.00.
- Lots for infants, a year old or less, are available at both parish cemeteries. At St. Ferdinand Cemetery infant lots are 2’ x 3’ while at St. Henry an infant lot is 3 1/2’ x 5 ½’. The cost for an infant lot is $50.00 for parishioners, $100.00 for non-parishioners. Infants cannot be buried on top of any existing grave. Infants shall be interred on a separate lot.
- A parishioner must be a member of Christ the King Parish for 1 year before they can get the parishioners rate.
- Opening and closing costs of each grave are included in the Funeral Directors billing. (Opening and closing of Cremation plots will be done by the Funeral Home.)
- Prices are subject to change with the approval of the Cemetery Board of Directors.
- A cremation container must be interred on an unused lot, unless approved by the Cemetery Board of Directors.
- At St. Ferdinand Cemetery, a second cremation container may be interred on the same standard size lot, but only one headstone or marker per lot is permitted. Up to two per lot with the first to be 14 inches from the monument and the second 36 inches from the monument. Urns can be no longer than 18 inches.
- Cremation plots at St. Henry Cemetery will normally be 4’x10’ except in special circumstances and then must be approved by Cemetery Board of Directors, i.e. an existing 3’x10’ plot. There is no special section for cremains. The Cemetery Board of Directors may permit more than 1 urn to be buried on a single plot. The first urn will be centered on the plot 35 inches from the headstone end of plot; second urn will be centered on the plot 99 inches from the headstone end of plot. St. Henry will charge an additional $150 for the 3rd cremation per lot.
D. Cemetery Care
- Glass containers for flowers, greens, etc. are not permitted in the cemetery.
- Live shrubs, bushes, flowers may not be planted.
- All wire, plastic with wire, ornamentals, and artificials of any kind should be removed within one week of any special occasion of funeral.
- Permanent vases attached to the base of the grave markers (not extending beyond base) will be permitted. Deteriorated artificial flowers will be removed.
- The Ferdinand American Legion Post 124 will attach flag-holders and flags to the headstone base.
- Solar lights are allowed if fixed against the headstone base.
- Floral hangers must be mounted to the base of the grave marker, not dug into the ground. No flowers or decorations should extend beyond the marker. The Cemetery will reserve the right to remove the hanger if not in compliance.
- Burial lots shall not be enclosed by fences, railing, copings, hedges, or embankments.
- No improvement of cemetery lots will be permitted without permission of the Cemetery Board of Directors.
- The Cemetery Board of Directors reserves the right to prohibit the erection or modification of monuments, headstones, or markers, which it deems, will be in conflict with its general plan for Christ the King Parish Cemeteries.
- Payment for a lot does not convey the right of property but conveys only the privilege to use the lot or part of the lot subject to rules and regulations of Christ the King Parish Cemeteries.
- Headstones and grave markers are the responsibility of those leasing the cemetery lot. Expenses incurred from damages remain their responsibility. Repairs must be made under the supervision of the Cemetery Board of Directors. If monuments or markers are erected without the approval of the Cemetery Board of Directors, the board reserves the right to remove any monument or marker in conflict with the general plan.
- The parish grounds keeper along with volunteers are responsible for mowing grass, weed-eating, trimming the hedge and cleaning up debris after storms. They will also be responsible for filling and seeding new gravesites.